Travel tips and information for Cyclades
- Drink only bottled water. Water is brackish or not potable in most islands.
- If there is time flexibility, plan your trip for May, June or September, October. It is always less crowded and rates are lower.
- June is a wonderful month to visit our islands. Less winds, longest daylight.
- Though August is very popular, you have the most chances to meet “meltemia”, strong Aegean winds.
- A long-sleeved t-shirt is always recommended for these chilly August nights.
- Always issue in advance your arrival-departure boat tickets in order to avoid unavailability, especially during peak season.
- Always reserve in advance a car/moto/ATV when traveling during peak-season.
- If you want to use a taxi, make sure to pre-order one a few hours before.
- High-speed boats are more expensive but will travel you to your destination at least 1 h. earlier than normal ferries. Remember still, they stop first with bad weather conditions.
- Prefer to use EUR bank notes of 5,10,20, 50 & 100 for your transactions. It is not easy to receive changes for 200 or 500 EUR.
- Gratuities are optional.
- Bear in mind that in some small islands (like Folegandros or Small Cyclades) there are no banks just atm’s.
- Wherever you are do not miss tasting local wine and “traditional mezedes”. During your stay do not forget to ask & participate in a local festivity known as “panygiri”, so common in Cycladic islands.
- Ask the locals where they go eating, swimming or having fun. They always know better!
Cyclades in Motion:
- Luc Besson’s “Deep Blue” was filmed in Amorgos.
- During summer 2012 Paros was the natural setting for the Italian movie “Immaturi: Il viaggio”
- The unspeakable beauty of Santorini has always been attractive for film makers: “Lara Croft: the cradle of life”, “The Sisterhood of the traveling pants” and “Summer Lovers” back in 1982 made well known its volcanic landscape all over the world.
- Emir Kusturica filmed “Nicostratos le pelican” under the Aegean dazzling sunlight of Milos & Sifnos.
- Cyclades comprise about 220 large and smaller islands among them two volcanic islands Milos & Santorini.
- Cyclades comprise about 450 beaches!
- According to Scientists, during Pre-historic period Cyclades was a sole island.
- Naxos is the largest island of Cyclades. However, Ermoupoli in Syros island is the capital.
- The total population of all the Cyclades is 112,615 people .
- The highest mountain in Cyclades is Zas in Naxos with an altitude of 1.001 m. This is the only mountain in the whole Cycladic complex to reach an altitude of more than 1 klm.
- On the other side, Delos has the lowest mountain named Kynthos with an altitude of 112 m. only.
- The most easterly of the Cyclades islands is Amorgos.
- In Naxos, stands also the major wetland in Cyclades called Alyki, right next to Naxos airport. It spreads over an area of about 1,000 strm. and shelter, during migratory periods, hundreds of bird species. Alyki wetland has been included in «Natura 2000», the European Network of Protected Areas.
- Cyclades took their name from ancient geographers thanks to their position: Around (cyclic) the sacred island of Delos.
- The Cyclades is where the native Greek breed of cat (the Aegean cat) originated.